Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Top 12 Cheer-Me-Up Songs

Ever since I was a child, I have used music to raise my spirits. There are many songs designed to do just that. I think the theme must have become really popular during the Great Depression, but has endured.

Here are my top 12 cheer-me-up songs - in roughly chronological order - linked to Blip.fm tracks, when available, or to the lyrics.

  1. When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along (Al Jolson, 1926)
  2. Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella (lyrics by Irving Kahal and Francis Wheeler, 1927)
  3. Pennies from Heaven (from "Pennies from Heaven", 1936) (Frank Sinatra)
  4. Pick Yourself Up, Dust Yourself Off (YouTube video of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers; lyrics by Dorothy Fields, 1936)
  5. Put a Shine on Your Shoes This one has no lyrics on the web, but it concludes with
    So put a shine on your shoes,
    And a melody in your heart.
    What a wonderful way to start
    The day!
  6. Zip-a-Dee-Do-Dah (from "Song of the South", 1946)
  7. Pretend You're Happy When You're Blue (words & music by Lew Douglas, Cliff Parman, and Frank Lavere, 1953)
  8. Count Your Blessings (Irving Berlin, 1954) (Diana Krall)
  9. Smile When Your Heart is Aching (lyrics by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons, 1954)
  10. Don't You Hurry Worry Me! (from "Windjammer", 1958) The lyrics are not on the web, but here is the refrain:
    Don't you hurry, worry me;
    Don't you hurry, worry me!
    Who cares what time it is,
    When the climate is
    Warm as the tropical sea?
    So don't you hurry me,
    Don't you worry me;
    Don't you hurry, worry me!
  11. The Shadow of Your Smile (from "The Sandpiper", 1965) (Barbra Streisand)
  12. Tomorrow (from "Annie", 1977)
What songs cheer you up? Please add your favorites in a Comment.

1 comment:

  1. A friend (who prefers to remain anonymous) wrote to tell me that I had forgotten a really obvious old "chestnut": Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag (1915)

    Here are links to a 1917 recording by Helen Clark: http://blip.fm/~443tb and to the lyrics: http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/packupyourtroubles.htm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I appreciate your contribution.