Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Technological Challenges

I believe that the total rebuild of my laptop, and the selective porting of utilities from the old laptop worked. Tomorrow will tell!

Why, you ask, did I have to rebuild the laptop?

Apparently, the first time I ported utilities to the new laptop, I included one that required a specific driver: SbAlg.sys. The unavailability of this driver rendered the laptop incapable of booting up, no matter what the nice Dell technician tried. Starting over was the only remaining option.

So, I spent about 15 hours restoring the original configuration. Then, I ported over just a few utilities, hoping that I selected the "safe" ones.

Because of the threatened April 1st virus, I'm waiting 'til April 2nd to test the new configuration. Paranoid? You bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I appreciate your contribution.