Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Serendipitous Event

This morning, I had a routine visit with my primary physician, Dr Daniel Zacharias - a holistic practitioner in the Short Hills-Millburn area. As I was leaving, he raced after me, and thrust a small catalog into my hands. "This is something you should do," he said.

What Dr Z had given me was the Spring 2009 catalog for The South Orange-Maplewood Adult School. Knowing that I am a teacher / trainer looking for extra work, he thought I might be able to do something for the SOM Adult School.

I looked through the catalog, and learned that all manner of interesting courses, both short and long, are offered for adults - everything from "The Active Mind" to "Swimming." The offerings included a group under the heading "Computers," so I turned to that section.

Well, a number of to-be-expected courses are offered, such as Getting Started with Computers, Microsoft Office, Excel - Intro & Intermediate, etc. But then, the offerings branched out into what I consider to be more interesting areas: Intro to the Internet for Seniors, Joy of Code - Make Your Own Web Site, and Get to Know Your Digital Camera. "Hey," I thought, "I could fit a cool course into that group!"

So, I telephoned the school and - would you believe it? - the Board (of which Dr Z's wife is a member, it turns out) had just been discussing the need for a course in the precise area I proposed: Social Media for Seniors. How timely is that?

So, I am busy crafting a proposal for the school, and plan to offer it to other regional adult schools in New Jersey, as well. Hurrah for Dr Z!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I appreciate your contribution.